Senior Director, Strategy & Academics
Posted on Apr 5, 2021 by Northwestern University
The Senior Director of Strategy and Academics serves as the primary leadership of the Strategy and Academics units within Academic Operations. Academic Operations builds and maintains an optimal research and teaching environment for all faculty, visiting scholars and research associates at Kellogg by delivering and developing best-practices and standard operating procedures related to the employment lifecycle for all academic professionals. This role oversees the effective operations of Insight, centers, initiatives and programs located within and outside of academic departments, and a team of Center and program support individuals intended to provide consistent, strategic and effective support for small centers.
The position provides direct line advising to the Senior Associate Dean of Strategy and Academics in the areas of department operations, operations of centers and programs of varying scope and size, and thought partnership. This position will partner with other senior leaders within Academic Operations to aide in the creation and execution of the strategic vision for Academic Operations. Overseeing the administrative functions of Academic Operations, the Sr. Director meets expected service levels within the departments and develops and maintains best-practices and financial oversight for all units as evidenced through measurable results and regular reporting.
Evaluation and Administrative Management:
- Evaluates effectiveness to ensure seamless communication between units. Serves as the key representative of Strategy and Academics and ensures effective integration and alignment between all areas. Supervises, motivates and develops team members (both direct and indirect reports) to promote effective working relationships and professional growth. Responds to staff needs and provides tools needed for successful operation. Mediates issues and provides support and guidance to students, faculty, and staff. Manages staff workload and faculty expectations. Responsible for developing and maintaining best-practices and financial oversight for all assigned budgets in support of Centers and programs, faculty and their staff members as evidenced through measurable results and regular reporting. Leads a team of Center and program support staff providing course support and financial support, rebalancing workloads, and support needs of teams within scope as appropriate
Vision and Strategy:
- Works with senior leadership, including Sr. Associate Deans and Dean to define, execute and deliver on the strategic direction and mission of Strategy and Academics. Conducts research and benchmarks trends to ensure service levels run efficiently. Develops and implements best practices to ensure goals of the school are achieved. Business partner with all levels of the organization in strategic planning, tactical management planning, and effective implementation of processes and programs.
- Collaborates with other Academic Operations leaders to ensure alignment of goals within Academic Operations group. Serves as key representative to address administrative needs of academic units to achieve research and teaching goals, deploying resources as needed. Develops cross-functional relationships within groups, ensuring consistent and excellent service model across all areas. Evaluates, improves, and drives effective change to streamline internal processes while promoting continued transparency and clarity to faculty.
- Evaluates programs within scope in partnership with the Sr. Associate Dean, reviewing budgets and long-term plans to ensure viability and alignment with Kellogg's vision.
- Pursues new and improved strategies for data management and reporting capabilities to meet internal, School, and University needs. Demonstrates continued excellence through proven metrics and regular reporting.
- Delivers on a variety of expected services via the staff including course support, events management, recruiting, financial oversight and general operations support and works to foster strong collaboration with the Senior Associate Dean as their staff will be expected to execute policy and procedure as set forth by the deans' office and Center and program governance. The senior director will also be expected to influence without direct authority as they will oversee staff that may report through faculty members in their departments with in-direct, but matrixed relationships into the organization.
- Leads and manages efforts to create a collaborative and diverse environment in which the optimal level of participant interaction is achieved. Builds and maintains collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
- 8-10 year experience in higher education.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Ability to identify potential barriers and/or risks to implementation of change management by thoroughly understanding & assessing the human capital implications of change readiness.
- Strong business acumen and experience translating business strategy into organization development plans.
- Master's degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired. MBA preferred.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Ability to work well with faculty, students, and administrative staff of all levels.