Director, Business Development and Management
Posted on Apr 5, 2021 by North Carolina State University
The Director, Business Development and Management job responsibilities include:
- Statewide Business Development and Management: Leads the process and the IES statewide extension specialists who administer new and existing client development and management for the purpose of providing technical assistance to business and industry. Focusing on the core IES mission of helping manufacturers, the Director defines and coordinates strategies for business engagement, assessment, and project proposals.
- Serves on the IES Core Leadership Team providing input to strategic decisions vital to IES growth and relevance.
- Extension Operations Outreach and Performance Leader: Supports overall group activities with leadership in the development and maintenance of partnerships, functional policies and procedures including support of key stakeholder interaction (ie MEP, NC State, North Carolina), internal communications, evaluation of performance metrics, business plans and strategies, and regional manager resource management. The Director provides critical evaluation and input to support IES senior leadership decisions.
- Client Assessment Coordinator: Leads and supervises all regional managers identifying best practices in client engagement using discovery techniques, assessment tools, and trusted advisor practices to identify opportunities for solutions that can be provided by IES, partners or third-party contractors. Responsible for business lead management and market development activities to ensure creativity is reinforced to promote growth opportunities.
- Accountable for business planning and operating within multiple IES department strategies and core competencies.
- Develop team skills and optimize utilization of Assistant Directors and direct reports.
- Provides leadership, supervision, and guidance to a service team of statewide IES client engagement and development staff. In addition to client engagement team coordination, this position assists in developing and updating policies needed for team management. Also monitors designated service oriented goals and tracks measurable economic benefits.
- Assists with recruiting extension specialists. Responsible for training, mentoring, and evaluating staff in relationship development and trusted advisor interactions. Assist with developing programs, goals, and measurable expectations. Maintain a level of awareness of all IES programs, industry needs, trends, and best practices.
- Provides direct engagement with clients. The opportunity to solve client problems will come from the Incumbent's experience with developing relationships and communicating across a broad range of needs and potential solutions. Formal and informal business assessments will be provided as appropriate free of charge to the client. Assessments will lead to multiple client engagements for services rendered under University guidelines for agreement.
- Promotes all IES services, not only for the specific product(s), but for the entire range of services to support the IES client. This is achieved through client assessments, presentations, marketing materials, educational programs, electronically and by other available means.
- Ensures processes are in place for the statewide extension specialists who administer new and existing client development and management supports the survey process used to measure the impact of the IES programs to the economic benefit to the clients and to the state. The Director supports the production of annual or other reports of program impact that is distributed to stakeholders at the federal, state, and local level. This Director will support the ongoing effort to inform and educate legislators and other stakeholders about the impacts and value of all the IES programs.
- Supports and regularly contributes to NIST reports, as needed.
- Ensures adherence to the administrative policies of the University and direction if the Executive Director. The Director will attend necessary meetings and travel as required by the IES Executive Director.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience
- A Bachelors Degree and 5+ years of successful experience in sales, customer service, community relations, continuing education, or marketing execution is required.
Other Required Qualifications
- A proven track record of accomplishments.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and supervisor a team.
- Success in identifying and securing sales opportunities.
- Documented experience in using a CRM system along with data analytics.
- Documented experience in the application of good business practices and ethics.
- A strong work ethic and a willingness to travel.
- High proficiency in the use of a personal computer.
- Good communication and project management skills.
- The physical ability for a wide range of activities with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Master's degree or 10+ years of manufacturing experience.
- Experience with customer service, community relations, continuing education, marketing execution, and sales are beneficial.
- Required License(s) or Certification(s)
- A valid Driver's License or the ability to obtain one within the first 60 days of start date. Must be maintained as a condition of employment.