Posted on Apr 6, 2021 by Pharmacyclics
- Opportunity Sourcing: Build awareness regarding group amongst life science focused venture investors, entrepreneurs, scientific founders, and accelerators/incubators
- Identify and evaluate potential investment opportunities that are consistent with strategies and drive sustainable growth for the Company including managing and generating relationships with potential sources of opportunities and potential co-investors.
- Lead the assessment and (in conjunction with Search and Evaluation) drive the evaluation process and timeline, developing timely recommendations and proposals for senior management consideration, based on thorough technical review.
- Develop effective deal structure, risk mitigation and negotiation strategies and ensure alignment with objectives and functional management.
- Deal Execution: Drive the investment process, including leading the diligence team and cross-functional internal review and presenting the investment recommendation to the Investment Committee, negotiating deal documents and managing the closing process.
- Actively review and monitor portfolio companies by keeping abreast of developments within the companies, building and maintaining good working relationships with executive management and the Board, and participating in Board meetings.
- Advanced degree in the sciences (Biology, Chemistry) Ph.D., M.D., M.D./Ph.D., with at least 3 years post-doctoral research experience (academic or pharma/biotech) required. MBA preferred but not required.
- 10 years of experience, including 5 years in pharma/biotech/life science VC, with several years' direct experience in an externally focused group investing in and/or licensing innovation in the life sciences.
- 2 years exposure working with top level corporate executives.
- Strong understanding of drug discovery and development, regulatory, and commercialization process for evaluation of pharmaceutical opportunities; position incumbent should have good scientific knowledge that will permit them to objectively evaluate potential business opportunities.
- Project management/leadership skills to lead/manage multifunctional teams to evaluate target opportunities and produce high quality analyses. Ability to drive projects to deliver timely results and follow through on commitments.
- Strong communication skills to effectively communicate business strategies and capabilities internally and externally, present individual and team recommendations clearly and concisely, and promote cross-functional communication.
- Networking skills to reach out to a broad range of industry decision makers to keep abreast of emerging opportunities.
- Demonstrated skills in a licensing or venture investment setting with a track record of creatively solving problems with partners and closing deals that create a win-win relationship for all parties.
- Needs to be able to manage high level, cross-functional teams.
- Individual must be able to act independently without daily onsite managerial supervision.