Cath Lab Technologist ** Education Assistance Offered **
Posted on May 4, 2021 by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center
MercyOne is a connected system of health care facilities and services dedicated to helping individuals live their best life.
With 420 care locations, our clinics, medical centers and affiliates are never too far from home, allowing us to improve the lives of individuals and communities across the state of Iowa and beyond.
MercyOne's Central Iowa Region includes medical centers in Des Moines, West Des Moines, Newton and Centerville and two specialty hospitals - MercyOne Children's Hospital in Des Moines and MercyOne Rehabilitation Hospital in Clive - along with more than 20 additional facilities that house more than 50 primary care, pediatric, internal medicine and specialty clinics. Founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1893, MercyOne Central Iowa has the longest continually operating hospital in Des Moines.
Assists physicians during special radiologic procedures requiring experience and advanced training in the Cath lab. Serves as a resource person for other personnel regarding hemodynamic monitoring and radiation safety. These procedures vary in advanced diagnostic and interventional cardiovascular procedures requiring experience and advanced training in the cardiac cath lab. Such procedures include, but are not limited to, coronary angiograms, PTCAs, peripheral and coronary artery stent placements, pediatric and adult heart catheterizations, peripheral PTAs, ICD implants, PPM implants, electrophysiology studies, EP mapping, EP ablation, valvuloplastie, structural heart procedures, and laser procedures.
- Assists the physician with imaging during diagnosis and treatment of cardiac cath lab patients of diverse ages. Ensures quality of imaging and image acquisition, DSA, and hemodynamic monitoring. Ensures radiation safety practices are used for patients and personnel.
- Proficient with aseptic technique and assists physician with scrubbing during procedure. Transport patients to and from the cath lab. May apply manual pressure to puncture site to obtain hemostasis following procedures.
- Assists with technical utilization of physiologic monitoring/data devices in the cath lab. Calibrates physiologic and monitoring devices. Prepares appropriate forms to document procedural data. Prepares and maintains physiological data after completion of each procedure.
- Completes annual competencies and educational requirements.
- Sets up trays for procedures using sterile technique.
- Assists physician with scrubbing during and after procedure.
- Prepares skin and drapes patient for procedure using aseptic technique.
- Acquires supplies needed for procedures and may pass to physician or assistant maintaining sterile technique. Assists in maintaining inventory control.
- Administers CPR, defibrillation, Ambu, etc. as ordered by physician during procedure.
- Transports patients to and from procedure rooms. Reports status of hemostasis of puncture site(s) to nurse. May apply clamp or manual pressure to puncture site(s).
- Patient and family education of cath lab procedures and documents of patient medical record.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Completion of a two-year training program in radiologic technology and ARRT registry, with a valid Iowa Radiology technologist permit to practice, OR a graduate of Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist certification program OR an Advanced medical training degree (Associate of Science degree or Associate's degree in paramedic, or Allied Health Profession)
- Two years of related experience required.
- Basic Life Support required within 3 months of hire.
- Basic EKG monitoring class preferred.
- ACLS preferred required within 6 months of hire.
- Mandatory Reporter required within 3 months of hire.
CommonSpirit Health participates in E-verify.