Supervisor Lab Operations
Posted on May 4, 2021 by CHI Franciscan St. Michael Medical Center
CHI Franciscan Health has exciting and rewarding careers with competitive salaries and benefits. We are a family of hospitals, health care services, and medical providers delivering compassionate care to people throughout South Puget Sound. We are part of Catholic Health Initiatives, one of the largest not-for-profit health care systems in the country.
St. Michael Medical Center is looking for compassionate professionals to join our team in our NEW HOSPITAL in Silverdale! This 500,000 Square-foot hospital will be the most energy-efficient hospital in Washington and will provide an extraordinary healing environment for our patients with beautiful views of the Olympic Mountains and Dyes Inlet. In addition, the entire campus has been developed with the well-being of our team in mind with dedicated respite areas and generous break areas (see the views!) along with the Clear Creek trail running through the hospital grounds, encouraging walks and connection with the community. Be a part of this groundbreaking addition to CHI Franciscan!
Visit our website at www. stmichaelopening.org for 360-degree photos and virtual tour of the new hospital.
Our mission is to deliver high-quality care that meets our patients' medical needs while providing emotional and spiritual support to patients and their families. We believe this three-part approach - physical, emotional, and spiritual - is essential to healing the whole person. Come join our team!
This job is responsible for the coordination and oversight of administrative and clinical activities relating to the daily operations of a laboratory function in accordance with established business objectives and applicable accreditation/regulatory requirements. An incumbent serves as the point-person for issues impacting the assigned lab facility. Work includes: 1) timely, responsive and cost-effective staffing/scheduling of lab professional and support staff for the assigned facility; 2) serving as liaison with various internal departments in coordinating and troubleshooting various business-related issues; and 3) directly supervising staff engaged in lab-related work activities. An incumbent is a first-line "working supervisor", and may spend a moderate amount of time (10%-20%) performing laboratory work that requires professional licensure (e.g. MT, CLS, HEW/HHS or CLT).
Work is performed in accordance with established standards/guidelines and requires knowledge of the concepts, professional standards and methodologies applicable to the laboratory discipline, and of applicable regulatory requirements sufficient to ensure quality and compliant operations and to exercise judgment and critical thinking in addressing issues. Also requires expertise in supervising and evaluating the work of professional/support staff. An incumbent works with higher level management on major operational or business decisions prior to implementation.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Supervises daily operations of the assigned clinical area/work unit to facilitate the safe and appropriate delivery of diagnostic and/or therapeutic patient care, facilitate achievement of clinical core measurement scores and to ensure that all activities are conducted in a timely and cost-effective manner and in compliance with organizational values, professional standards, collective bargaining agreements, internal policies/standards/procedures and/or applicable regulatory requirements; oversees the resolution of daily clinical, administrative and operational issues, and monitors/troubleshoots service recovery and other escalated concerns, resolving within defined scope of responsibility; implements and enforces quality control/quality assurance and productivity standards; ensures that applicable standards, systems and procedures are understood and followed; monitors and audits related documentation to ensure conformance with established standards relating to timeliness, and accuracy; prepares periodic productivity reports and program updates for review of higher-level authority.
* Participates in the development of, and implements new clinical systems/programs to enhance existing services and raise the standard of care for the patient population served; produces and presents reports on key performance indicators and other significant benchmarking metrics.
Staff Supervision and Development:
* Schedules, supervises and evaluates the work of assigned staff engaged in technical and professional lab activities in accordance with established procedures; ensures that staff are qualified and properly trained to perform assigned job duties; interviews job candidates and makes employment and other personnel decisions in accordance with established guidelines; orients employees and holds regular staff meetings to keep employees appraised of all matters relevant to successful job performance; approves timecards; communicates performance standards, assesses clinical competency and evaluates employee performance; counsels employees, providing constructive feed back and recognizing results achieved; participates in performance management activities and resolves technical issues referred by subordinates as beyond their scope of authority.
* Interprets, and monitors compliance with, applicable internal/external legal and regulatory agreements, standards and requirements; keeps abreast of changing regulatory requirements/regulations, professional standards and competitive industry practices impacting assigned functions, as well as organizational initiatives/changes with potential to impact current operations; monitors impact on existing activities and identifies/implements effective response/solution while maintaining acceptable service levels and work quality.
Other Essential Duties:
* Tracks and enters Quality Incident Monitor forms (QIMs) into tracking database; identifies and alerts manager of significant issues; suggests improvements to reduce incidents via LIS change forms and feedback to manager and staff.
* Oversees the ordering of laboratory supplies and ensures adequate inventory is available and logged in according to established guidelines; alerts manager of reagent lot # or back-order situations.
* Reviews QC on a monthly basis by each analyte; brings any pending concerns to the attention of the Lab Operations Manager for final determination and corrective action.
* May perform the professional duties of Medical Technologist (refer to Medical Technologist job description, job code 2099) as necessary.
Performs related duties as required.
Education/Work Experience Requirements
Bachelor of Science Degree in Medical Technology or related field of Laboratory Science, with registry as MT (ASCP) or CLS (NCA), and four years of related clinical laboratory experience as an MLT or MT that would demonstrate attainment of the requisite job knowledge/abilities as obtained in a hospital setting within the last 8 years. Experience in a "lead," MT Coordinator or supervisory role is strongly preferred.
MT (ASCP), CLP (NCA), HEW/HSS, or MLT (ASCP) required.
CommonSpirit Health participates in E-verify.