Lab Assistant PRN
Posted on May 4, 2021 by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center
MercyOne Central Iowa operates four not-for-profit, Catholic medical centers in Des Moines, West Des Moines, Newton and Centerville and two specialty hospitals - MercyOne Children's Hospital in Des Moines and MercyOne Rehabilitation Hospital in Clive (965 beds total) - along with more than 20 additional facilities that house more than 50 primary care, pediatric, internal medicine and specialty clinics. Founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1893, MercyOne Central Iowa has the longest continually operating hospital in Des Moines and is also one of the largest employers in the state, with more than 7,000 employees and a medical staff of more than 1,000 physicians and allied health associates. MercyOne Central Iowa is a member of MercyOne, which was founded in 1998 through a collaboration between CommonSpirit Health and Trinity Health - two of the country's foremost, not-for-profit Catholic health organizations. MercyOne has more than 20,000 colleagues in Iowa and surrounding states.
May work in various laboratory departments to collect blood specimens from hospital patients, work with microbiology or anatomic pathology specimens, or work independently at remote Patient Service Centers. Creates patient encounters, orders laboratory tests, and prepares specimens for testing. Assists technical personnel in sample log-in, testing workflow, and specimen tracking, as appropriate for patient age including neonates, infants, children, adolescents, adults, and geriatric adults.
- Accepts specimens and requisitions from external and internal customers utilizing excellent customer service skills.
- Identifies patients/specimens using two unique patient identifiers and accurately labels specimen containers.
- Correctly registers specimens and logs into Laboratory Information System (LIS) appropriate to department where testing is to be performed as needed, or evaluates specimen adequacy and acceptability and logs into LIS.
- Performs specimen processing as needed. For example, proper identification, aliquoting, plate streaking, preparing slides, special handling, and required documentation.
- Follows established procedures and policies including infection control and bloodborne pathogens.
- Handles chemicals according to established safety protocols.
- Meets defined workload productivity standards. Supports and utilizes LEAN principles.
- Works proficiently with laboratory information systems and personal computers.
- Follows established procedures and policies to obtain optimal test turn-around-times.
- Participates in teaching peers.
- Handles incoming and outgoing telephone calls utilizing good customer service skills and knowledge of the laboratory.
- Follows up on and documents out of range temperatures.
Additional Functions As Needed:
- Assists in gross room.
- Prepares area and assists pathologists for frozen section testing.
- Distribution/filing of slides and block
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Proof of completion of Mandatory Reporter abuse training specific to population served within 3 months of hire.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and laboratory experience preferred.
- Computer skills required
- For Reference Lab: valid Iowa driver's license required. Must meet Mercy's Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and be at least 18 years of age.
CommonSpirit Health participates in E-verify.