Medical Lab Technician
Posted on May 4, 2021 by CHI Saint Joseph London
CommonSpirit Health was formed by the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health. With more than 700 care sites across the U. S. & from clinics and hospitals to home-based care and virtual care services CommonSpirit is accessible to nearly one out of every four U. S. residents. Our world needs compassion like never before. Our communities need caring and our families need protection. With our combined resources CommonSpirit is committed to building healthy communities advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable and innovating how and where healing can happen both inside our hospitals and out in the community.
ResponsibilitiesPerforms a wide range of technical procedures analyzing blood and various body fluids in order to expedite the physician's diagnosis and treatment of his patient. Records and documents this data in the proper areas. The employee shall assist with quality audits in accordance with accrediting agencies. Technical duties will include routine patient testing, complex red cell antibody identification, and preparation of blood components for transfusion. Technical competency and critical thinking are required, as errors could result in serious consequences to patients. Work involves confidential patient diagnosisand test results, requiring the employee to respect the patient's right to confidentiality. The technologist shall have good communication skills and interact pleasantly and professionally with all co-workers, medical staff, patients, visitors and others. The employee shall actively support the policies of the Laboratory and organization.
- Direct observations of routine patient test performance, including, as applicable, patient identification and preparation; and specimen collection, handling, processing and testing
- Monitoring the recording and reporting of test results, including, as applicable, reporting critical results
- Review of intermediate test results or worksheets, quality control records, proficiency testing results, and preventive maintenance records
- Direct observation of performance of instrument maintenance and function checks
- Assessment of test performance through testing previously analyzed specimens, internal blind testing samples or external proficiency testing samples
- Evaluation of problem-solving skills
- Performs quality control procedures to ensure accuracy of test results.
- Analyzes patient samples according to approved standards of testing.
- Maintains equipment to ensure accurate, consistent results in the performance of tests.
- Provides teaching and education to clinical laboratory scientist students and other laboratory personnel.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served. Collects and processes laboratory specimens.
- Follow standards of safety dictated by the laboratory, the hospital and regulatory agencies.
- Contributes to the efficient operation of the laboratory.
- Participates in continuing education programs for the upgrade of educational experience.
QualificationsEducation / Accreditation / Licensure (required & preferred):
- MT(ASCP), MT(AMT), MT (HEW), qualified as a technologist under CLIA rules, or equivalent. (Appropriate Bachelor's degree required to meet CLIA rules).
- Individuals who are newly certified beginning January 2004 must participate in the BOR Certification Maintenance Program.
- Experience in laboratory medicine
CommonSpirit Health participates in E-verify.
Set up alerts to get notified of new vacancies.