Posted on May 4, 2021 by Management & Training Corporation
Responsible for providing academic instruction to inmates in accordance with approved curricula, in compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC) and Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction (ODRC) directives.
- Plan and conduct classes for inmates in Adult Basic Education (ABE) and General Education Development (GED), life skills, cultural awareness, health education and special curriculum and other subjects selected to correspond with the ability and limitations of the class.
- Prepare special teaching plans, courses, activities and learning experiences appropriate for the specific inmates assigned.
- Utilize appropriate audio and visual teaching materials individualized to the specific need of the inmate.
- Administer individual educational tests and learning aptitude tests and use the results for prescriptive instruction.
- Participate in staff conferences to develop and improve educational programs.
- Counsel and advise inmates on academic problems.
- Coordinate activities and classes in conjunction with appropriate school districts or other involved parties.
- Develop program and related educational materials as necessary for the establishment and maintenance of assigned classes.
- Adjust material and curriculum to the individual differences of the inmates assigned.
- Confer with inmates and instructors to evaluate results of conducted classes.
- Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed.
- Maintain accountability of inmates and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree and valid teaching certification appropriate for adult basic education or GED issued by the Ohio Department of Education in elementary or secondary education required. One (1) year related experience preferred. ESL and special education certifications required if instructing in these areas. Valid driver's license in the state of Ohio with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
Post Hire Requirements:
- Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements.
- Management & Training Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.